Jan-Frode Myklebust wrote:

>> and I still fail to understand how controlling your customers
>> envelope sender will help with backscatterer.org.
>
> It will make sure that when viruses/malware on the customers computer is
> sending out spam from fake addresses, the bounces goes back to the
> customer with the infected computer -- instead of to whomever the
> malware was pretending to send from.

I have never seen malware use SMTP AUTH via the smarthost SMTP. Most
malware shoot directly on 25/tcp.

Maybe you'll be better off blocking 25/tcp and force users to use the
submission port (587/tcp) with SMTP AUTH and possibly STARTTLS. I think
your spam problems will go away if you do that.

HTH,
Mikael