Le 08/09/2010 10:44, Jan-Frode Myklebust a écrit :
On Tue, Sep 07, 2010 at 06:38:15PM -0500, Noel Jones wrote:
If you have customers sending large amounts of abusive mail, seems
as if there would be better ways to deal with that eg. sender
quotas, monitoring of undeliverable mail, inbound spam/virus
scanning, etc. But I'm not an ISP; I can fire anyone who abuses the
mail system.
We do sender quotas, some monitoring of undeliverable mail, in and
outbound spam/virus scanning and more, but this doesn't catch all.

Users that are clearly abusing the system (read: "has malware
installed") gets blocked automatically or manually, but there's a time
window where they will be able to send out junk, and when you have
enough customers -- someone will always have the latest and greatest
malware installed and we woun't catch it immediately.

There are at least two different kind of users:
- victims whose PCs are owned. here, network quotas, errors detection, ... will help you know. now what can you do? - spammers. you ought to detect them. but they can get back with different names, ...

and I still fail to understand how controlling your customers
envelope sender will help with backscatterer.org.
It will make sure that when viruses/malware on the customers computer is
sending out spam from fake addresses, the bounces goes back to the
customer with the infected computer -- instead of to whomever the
malware was pretending to send from.

nah. this is useless. spam and viruses should get discarded. they have no reason getting on the wire.
   -jf