Steve Jenkins put forth on 2/3/2011 11:18 AM:
> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 1:44 AM, J4K <ju...@klunky.co.uk> wrote:
>> Its a good idea, but this would limit a user from using a server on his
>> residential ADSL from being an Email server, and force them to use their
>> ISPs relay.  Else they might have to upgrade to a business package or spend
>> more money for a static IP address that they can amend the reverse lookup
>> record for.  Pros and cons.
>
> It's a GREAT idea. I don't want/need email from users with ADSL or
> cable modem servers that refuse to use their ISP's relay. If enough of
> us stand firm on our mail acceptance policies to the point where we
> force SOHO and "Linux Weenies" to use their ISP's relay (which
> shouldn't cost them any money), then SPAMmers would take a huge hit.

Unfortunately the situation isn't quite that simple.  Note the explanation I
gave for the header prepending.  There are ISPs who only offer xDSL to business
clients, with static IPs, but without custom rDNS, and they don't want these
business clients relaying through their MSAs.  Most are going to run their own
MX MTA anyway.  We don't want to be throwing these babies out with the bath
water, nor the hobbyists.  We're fighting spammers.

The battle that needs to be fought is getting all ISPs to implement TCP 25
outbound filtering across the board for residential lines, and only opening it
upon request.  Some already do this in the states, but relatively few.  That's
the better way to solve the spambot/zombie problem, not penalizing one or two
segments of ISP customers simply because they're on a "residential class"
broadband line.  If a hobbyist knows how to run an MTA properly, and wants to
send/receive directly, we should not discourage that.  And we shouldn't be
penalizing SOHOs doing the same.

Remember, we're fighting spam, not innocent bystanders who simply have the same
connectivity a bot infected PC sits behind.

--
Stan