On 14/10/11 19:58, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> This is a result of your limited background and education Peter.  The
> term "server" was used to describe a software program's role long before
> hardware companies adopted the word "server" to describe a class of
> machines.

You don't know me or my background so please do not make assumptions.  I
know what server means in both contexts.  I also know the generally
accepted meaning of "dedicated server"...

...and when someone comes into the #postfix IRC channel (like they did
earlier today) seeking help because they read that last sentence in the
docs and thought, "I have a dedicated server, I should set that to
'enforce'." and I looked at that section of the docs and thought, "yes,
that sentence is confusing", then it should be changed to be clarified
or removed altogether (I don't actually think it will detract from those
docs to remove it, but it will certainly avoid this confusion).

...or is it your contention that the docs should only be clear to people
who were around in the 60's when the term "dedicated server" had a
different meaning?

Peter