Mark Goodge:
> On 14/10/2011 08:13, Peter wrote:
> >
> > ...and when someone comes into the #postfix IRC channel (like they did
> > earlier today) seeking help because they read that last sentence in the
> > docs and thought, "I have a dedicated server, I should set that to
> > 'enforce'." and I looked at that section of the docs and thought, "yes,
> > that sentence is confusing", then it should be changed to be clarified
> > or removed altogether (I don't actually think it will detract from those
> > docs to remove it, but it will certainly avoid this confusion).
>
> FWIW, I agree with Peter here. The documentation should avoid using
> terminology where the contemporary meaning is significantly different to
> the traditional meaning, otherwise there will always be scope for
> misunderstanding.
>
> I'd rewrite that last sentence to "This option should only be used on
> mail servers which only provide outbound relaying to the Internet and do
> not accept mail from the public Internet at all".

I just deleted the last sentence. The text before it is quite clear
that mandatory TLS must not to be used with a public SMTP server.
The reader will make the implication that mandatory TLS is meant
to be used with non-public SMTP servers.

However, there are however lots of non-public SMTP servers besides
outbound relaying: the submission server on a public network, an
SMTP-over-TLS tunnel across a public network, or any SMTP server
on a non-public network. It's not practical to mention all scenarios.