Peter:
> > You have to patch the makedefs file for EAI compile in.
>
> Looking at makedefs I can see this is true, it is hard-coded to check in
> /usr/lib.  I can patch this myself but it would be nice to have this

Nope.

This is the ICU check in makedefs:

             ${CC-gcc} -o makedefs.test makedefs.test.c -I/usr/local/include \
                -L/usr/local/lib -licuuc >/dev/null 2>&1
             if ./makedefs.test 2>/dev/null ; then
                 SYSLIBS="$SYSLIBS -L/usr/local/lib -licuuc"
             else
                 CCARGS="$CCARGS -DNO_EAI"
             fi
             rm -f makedefs.test makedefs.test.[co]