On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 06:41:55AM +0200, Martin S wrote:

> I might be extremely dense but what I don't understand now is:
> The setup works if I am loged in to the system, e.g. by imap through
> mail2web. Then I can send mail from my server to the world or between
> mailboxes on the server.
>
> Sending mail to the server from the world outside results in 5.1.1
> <xxxx@xxxx>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in relay
> recipient table.

The specific domain you're sending mail to (one of your own domains
when sending mail from outside, let's call it "example.com") is
listed in the Postifx "relay_domains" configuration parameter:

    main.cf:
        relay_domains = ..., example.com, ...

However the specific address you're sending mail to (say
cu...@example.com) is not listed in any of the tables
configured via "relay_recipient_maps":

    main.cf:
        relay_recipient_maps = ${indexed}relay-rcpts

    relay-rcpts:
        m...@example.com                RELAY
        la...@example.com       RELAY
        # BUT, no "cu...@example.com"

> So looking up recipients only work ON the server but not from the
> outside.

Recipient validation is only applied to domains for which your
server is "authoritative" (domains for which you accept inbound
mail).  Your server can't possibly know all the valid recipient
addresses for other sites' domains (say gmail.com, yahoo.com, ...)
and so delivers mail to these without lookups in relay_recipient_maps.

See:

    http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html#mydestination
    http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html#relay_to

        Viktor.