Hello,

I currently have a server that is configured as a mail forwarding domain [1].
Using example.com as an example:

    /etc/postfix/main.cf
        virtual_alias_domains = example.com

    /etc/postfix/virtual
        u...@example.com users-gmail-addr...@gmail.com

As such, the SMTP client is used to forward the messages to each user’s
existing Gmail addresses.

I was reading more about the smtp client parameters and read about
smtp_per_record_deadline.  In postconf(5) it states that the time limits are
changed and that this “...limits the impact from hostile peers that trickle
data one byte at a time”

Since my peer for the smtp client is always Gmail, this isn’t an issue for me,
but I was wondering - why does this default to “no” ?  I note the warning in
postconf(5) that states for slow network connections this can cause problems
with TLS, but I am assuming that this doesn’t apply to most configurations.

Why wouldn’t I want this normally enabled ?

Thanks,

- J

Sources
[1] www.postfix.org/VIRTUAL_README.html