> On Dec 5, 2017, at 1:46 PM, Noel Jones <njo...@megan.vbhcs.org> wrote:
>
> If you're only connecting to google over a decent internet link, I
> doubt you'll see any effect whatsoever.  Kinda like me using polar
> bear bait in Tennessee.
>
>  -- Noel Jones

Hi Noel,

That actually reminded me of something that crossed my mind, today - I forgot
about the inherently dynamic nature of routing.

Even though my server is within North America and it is extremely likely that I
am hitting the closest node of Google’s GMail servers in North America, as
routes are updated over time, there’s the possibility of the mail going over a
poor connection in a worst case scenario.

I know that’s less likely given the North American scenario, but it helped me
understand even more why this setting would not be enabled by default.

- J

PS - Polar bear bait in Tennessee is actually very effective against the rare
and elusive country music polar bear, a breed seldom seen but known to frequent
those parts on vacation, in search of some tunes . . .