On Tue, 2019-06-18 at 13:29 +1000, Richard James Salts wrote:
> On Monday, 17 June 2019 7:48:05 PM AEST Chris Pollock wrote:
> > Apologies if the subject is vague however I'll attempt to explain
> > further. I run a cron job once a day that updates my Spamassassin
> > rules. Up until a couple of weeks ago I would get the output of
> > that
> > cron job mailed to me. For some reason this is the only cron job
> > output
> > that's not coming back. I've determined that size it not a factor
> > since
> > some of my hourly logcheck messages are up to 400k if a restart has
> > taken place. Below is the output when it was working and the output
> > since them. I can't see a difference so it has to be something at
> > my
> > ISP with just this one cron job but I can't see it.
> >
> > https://pastebin.com/v0rMErQh
> >
> > Thanks for any suggestions
>
> Maybe it's going to a spam folder. I notice that the reply from your
> isp says
> 250 SPF validation soft failure in both cases, but if they stopped
> forwarding
> "potentially forged" emails that might be a possible cause. It is
> definitely
> the behaviour on smtp.embarqmail.com that has changed though, so you
> need to
> ask the administrators of that server. Is this direct to MX or is it
> a fixed
> relay intended to be a smarthost?

I'd been told quite awhile back that the spf soft failure isn't a
problem by Centurylink  Be that as it may I went into chat with
Centurylink tech support this afternoon. I had all the information that
I could think of to share with them. After over an hour of trying to
explain what the problem is I got absolutely no where. In fact the 2nd
person I went into chat with just up and terminated the chat on me in
the middle of it. I was on the verge of changing my postfix setup to
use my gmail account when I decided to try one last thing and that was
to change the port from 25 to 587. After updating postfix files and
reloading postfix I changed the time on the spamassassin update cronjob
and let it run. Amazingly the message I expected was sent and received.
I can only conclude that making the change from port 25 to 587 made the
difference. I'll know for sure tomorrow when the SA-Update cronjob runs
at the regular time.

One last item, this isn't a mail server but just my home Ubuntu system.
I've had postfix setup for many years from way back in my Mandrake days
in order to easily send output of cronjobs to myself. It's probably
overkill but it works fine for me and runs without any problems (except
this last one).

I'd like thank those that replied.

Chris
--