On 10 Feb 2021, at 15:52, Chris Green wrote:

On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 02:13:22PM -0500, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 05:41:49PM +0000, Chris Green wrote:

OK, what I want to do is as follows:-

I have several headless machines which need to be able to send error
and other messages to me ch...@isbd.co.uk.

Directly to that address, or indirectly by sending mail to various local
accounts that alias to this address?  If the latter, and $myorigin is
listed in $mydestination, then alias these various accounts to the
desired recipient address.

I don't mind how it gets there. :-)   However the case in question is
a headless virtual server isbd.uk which is run by Gandi Internet in
France.  I want the messages from there to get to my main E-Mail
address which is ch...@isbd.co.uk hosted on an entirely different
hosting service in the UK.

Looking at what you say above I see the following (on one of the
existing systems in the LAN behind zbmc.eu) :-

    chris$ postconf -d myorigin
    myorigin = $myhostname

Now you're reporting built-in default values ("-d" option of
"postconf").  That's not useful.  I was specifically telling what the
*default* value is.  If you have a non-default value you can report
it via "postconf -n".

    chris$ hostname -f
    t470.zbmc.eu

This is irrelevant.

    chris$ hostname
    t470

This shows a non-FQDN hostname.

Which seems to be how just about every system configures itself.

Little do they know that we humans are actually in control... :)

It's all very well saying that the 'hostname' should include the
domain name but in the real world nothing ever seems to be actually
like that.

Unless you make it that way. Put the FQDN in /etc/hostname (on most Linux distros...) and it is done.

If (and it's a big if) I configure the hostname to be a FQDN how do I
then get mail sent to 'chris' out of isbd.uk to ch...@isbd.co.uk?

echo "ch...@isbd.co.uk" > ~chris/.forward

If you need a generalized mapping, see 'man 5 generic' and note that it can use regexp/pcre tables.

--
Bill Cole
Not Currently Available For Hire