On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 05:05:52PM +0000, Chris Green wrote:

> So I have the FQDN everywhere:-
>
>     chris@isbdGandi$ hostname
>     isbdGandi.isbd.uk
>
> ... and now postfix sends cron mail *to* ch...@isbd.uk as well as from
> ch...@isbd.uk which doesn't help at all!  I have an entry for chris in
> /etc/aliases:-

The built-in default is:

    $ postconf -d myorigin
    myorigin = $myhostname

Looks like you've set "myorigin = $mydomain", with my $mydomain inferred
from the hostname by dropping the first FQDN label.

>     chris:ch...@isbd.co.uk
>
> but this doesn't seem to have worked.  What am I doing wrong now? (I
> have run 'newaliases').

The aliases(5) table is only consulted when delivering mail to local
recipients (domain listed in $mydestination) via the local(8) delivery
agent.  Alias expansion applies only to envelope recipient addresses,
and generally (absent an "owner-" alias) does not affect the envelope
sender or mail headers.

This may be a good time to clearly (re)state what problem you're trying
to solve, now that you're apparently able to assign the desired mydomain
to each machine.

--
    Viktor.