On 19/01/22 7:44 am, post...@ptld.com wrote:
GhettoForge has a repo for Postfix3, it is not clear to me if Postfix3 is another beast
entirely or if it is just a normal Postfix version 3 and higher. Can someone explain what
is the purpose of "Postfix3"?

It's just the latest version of Postfix, the reasin it's called "postfix3" is historical:

Back before the release of Postfix 3.0 GhettoForge used to ship the package as postfix, the problem was that postfix prior to 3.0 did not have loadable dictionary types, so in order to provide support for every dictionary type the package had to compile it in, and have requirements of every lib under the sun for it.

When 3.0 added loadable dictionary types I was able to package them under separate binary packages such as postfix-mysql, postfix-pgsql, postfix-pcre, etc. This allowed me to remove those from the base postfix package. The problem with this is that there were a number of people who already used postfix from GhettoForge and if they ran a "yum update" command they would have found their email servers breaking very quickly because the postfix package lacked the dictionaries that used to be compiled in.

The solution was to release future postfix packages as postfix3, so that people in this situation would not have the above mentioned surprise breakage and when they updated they could install the individual dictionary packages that they needed. After that EL8 was released and for efficiency sake it is easier to build the same package names from the same source rpm rather than have a package named "postfix" for EL8 and "postfix3" for EL7. So that's the story of why it's called "postfix3" now.

Are there other options (repos) for getting current versions of Postfix using
dnf on a RHEL system?

I have heard of the odd repo having it, but I would not recommend them over GhettoForge. Of course I'm biased.

Also I believe that Red Hat intends to release newer postfix versions as module streams in later EL8 point releases, but they will not be as current as GhettoForge is.

Wietse Venema Wrote:
According to http://ghettoforge.org/index.php/Postfix3 it's the
latest (presumably stable) release. They appear to have Postfix
3.6 at this time.

3.6.4 is in gf-testing

The exmples on that page use yum, not dnf.

EL7 uses yum, EL8 uses dnf, but it comes symbolic linked to yum, so the same yum commands that work in el7 also work in el8, even though you are, in fact, using dnf. The commands on the page use yum because they work in both major releases and so it avoids having to put separate commands for EL7 vs EL8 examples.

post...@ptld.com Wrote:
Wait, so its a fork of Postfix?
And not the same code as what Wietse releases for the same version?

It is not a fork, it is a packaged build from the upstream Postfix sources. There are some minor patches which come from Fedora and you can see what they are in the available src.rpm file.

Peter