On Mon, 24 Jul 2023, Wietse Venema via Postfix-users wrote:

Bernardo Reino via Postfix-users:
On Sun, 23 Jul 2023, Viktor Dukhovni via Postfix-users wrote:

On 23 Jul 2023, at 4:21 pm, Charles Sprickman via Postfix-users
<postfix-users@postfix.org> wrote:

In the case of the dehydrated ACME client
(https://github.com/dehydrated-io/dehydrated) there's an option to run
a bunch of commands on successful update, including something like
"postfix reload" - one could also insert an email or other command to
note the update. I can't imagine other ACME clients don't offer a
similar function...

The "certbot" ACME client offers post-hooks, but they're not "reliable".
If the hook fails or doesn't run, it won't be retried.  A robust
"post-hook" should have "at least once" semantics, its implementation
should be idempotent, ait and should be retried until it succeeds.

I cannot imagine why/when the cerbot client would fail to run the post-hooks (in
a sane environment).

Systems crash.  What are the reliability guarantees from the certbot
client: will it run once, or will it somehow maintain state and
recover when a run was interrupted by a system crash?

In such cases, and/or just "on top" of the certbot renewal hooks, one could have a cron job doing "postmap" and/or "postfix reload" or whatever, as Viktor wrote. (but again, then your cron job must make sure that certbot is not (con)currently running).

I honestly don't think that it's certbot's [*] job to do that. The hooks are IMHO a "courtesy", which is nice to have, but if you need 100% reliability, you need to implement it using another method.

--
Bernardo