>  Wietse Venema via Postfix-users <postfix-users@postfix.org>:
>
> zonie via Postfix-users:
>> Hello,
>>
>> currently it's not possible to specify a username containing a colon ?:?
>> inside a ?smtp_sasl_password_map?, as the colon is used to split username
>> and password from each other.
>>
>> Is this limitation intentionally or was it just overlooked?
>
> Just like the UNIX login name, the SASL login name can't contain
> ':'. With Cyrus SASL configurations, they can be the same thing.

What do you mean by „…they can be the same thing“?

I understand when you say this limitation counts for postfix server SASL
configuration, as you mention the UNIX login name. In my case it‘s the mail
provider who awaits the colon placed in the username and on postfix side it‘s
just in the smtp client config.
Postfix should be no more frightened by a colon than by all other special
characters that can be specified now. And I think the colon is not one of the
bad ones, if there are any.

Would it be possible to introduce an escape char (e.g. „\“) for use inside a
SASL username to circumvent this limitation.

Stefan