Wietse Venema via Postfix-users:
> If we change the syntax of smtp_sasl_password_maps entries, then
> that will require a new configuration parameter to indicate how the
> lookup result should be parsed.
>
> My preference would be:
>
> smtp_sasl_password_map_result_delimiter

I implemented a simpler solution, where you specify a delimiter
without support for C escapes. Thus, no TAB chcracters.
Available in the postfix-3.9-20230820 development release.
I do not expect to back-port this feature to stable releases
(we do that only for emergencies).

No TAB, because I have a bad memmory of configuration files that
require TAB (for example, sendmail wants one or more TABs between
pattern, action, and comment).

Since TAB and SPACE characters are not easily distinguishable, and
some text editors automatically expand TABs, it is too easy to make
a mistake when editing a file.

Therefore, when ':' is part of the login name, consider using

    smtp_sasl_password_result_delimiter = ,

I shortened the name, too.