I've just noticed that about a year ago, the "designation" tag was
added to the "common" inputSet, meaning it appears on a wide variety
of features:
https://github.com/stevage/potlatch2/commit/e1970c90ae07d1d1bb98692a80d2131ae115ae5e

There are two issues with this:
1) The "designation=*" tag is apparently only relevant to UK mappers.
(IMHO it's a bit redundant alongside highway=* and access=*, but
that's beside the point...)
2) Putting it in this inputSet means it shows up on all kinds of
objects other than highway=*.

Obviously 2) is easy to fix. But what about 1? Is it time we
implemented locale-specific map_features? IMHO it's incorrect to
display a region-specific tag like this to everyone in this way. I'm
guessing that's the cause of its misused here:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/143010599/history

In the meantime, what can we do about it?

Steve