--- In [email protected], "Sheri" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> --- In [email protected], "ebennetthill" <benhill@> wrote:
> >
> >  I read a posting from June of this year about
> > changing the window title, and I wondered if there is
> > some possibility that PowerPro can do what I want.
> > 
> > Excel has the strange quirk of putting the name of the
> > program first (Excel)and the file name second. That's
> > not too bad for the title bar, but it's inconvenient
> > for the taskbar. All I can see there is that I have
> > some excel files open. The file names are all but
> > obscured. Word doesn't do that, but Excel does. I found
> > some VBS code that would fix individual files sort of,
> > but has to be inserted into every file that is opened
> > to do the job.
> > 
> > Could PowerPro change the window title of every Excel
> > file that is opened so that it would read "Book 1 -
> > Microsoft Excel" instead of "Microsoft Excel - Book 1"?
> 
> Hi,
> 
> I played with it, its easy enough to change the titlebar text of all
> instances of Excel and it seems to be retained until you activate a
> different document within the same Excel instance(s).
> 
> However, as far as the taskbar goes, as long as there are multiple
> documents open and you're using only one instance of Excel (at least
> with my Excel 2003 running in XP) the icon shows the number of
> documents open, and if you click the icon, it gives a list of the
> documents to choose from (no "Microsoft Excel -").
> 
> Your taskbar issue only seems to be an issue when there is only one
> document open in independent instance(s) of Excel where no secondary
> documents have been accessed during the session(s). In that
> circumstance, you could run this script on demand (e.g, from a button,
> menu item or hotkey) and afterwards taskbar icon will then show what
> you want. It will work on all multiple instances of Excel.
> 
> Save this file as exceltitlechg.powerpro in the scripts subdir of your
> PowerPro folder. The to set it up for use, select *Script and Runfile
> from the controls, and enter exceltitlechg for the Command parameters.
> The script uses the regex plugin, which is distributed with PowerPro.
> 
> Regards,
> Sheri
> 
> local testcaption, test4chg, correctcap
> if (anywindow("c=XLMAIN")) do
>   myxlcaplist = win.handlelist("c=XLMAIN")
> ;  win.debug("myxlcaplist ",myxlcaplist)
> endif
> for (j=1; ;j=j+1)
> myevalhandle = word(myxlcaplist,j)
> if (myevalhandle == "") do
>   break
> endif
> testcaption=win.caption(myevalhandle)
> ;win.debug("testcaption ",testcaption)
> test4chg = ;;+
> regex.replace(testcaption,;;+
> ?"^(Microsoft Excel) - (.+)$",?"\2 - \1","correctcap")
> ;win.debug("test4chg ", test4chg, "correctcap ", correctcap)
> if (test4chg == 0) do
>   win.settext(myevalhandle,correctcap)
> endif
> endfor
> quit
>
Thanks so much for the obviously sophisticated script. I can't follow
it for sure. I couldn't get it to work for me. I tried creating the
*.powerpro file and double-clicking it before I ran Excel and after I
opened up a file. I also tried assigning the *script>runfile to a
button and running it before or after Excel had started. Neither had
any effect for me.

As to the taskbar, I do have Excel set to "windows in taskbar" which
shows each file separately.

I assume teh script works for you. I also use Excel 2003. Do you have
any ideas what I might try next to get it to work for me?

Reply via email to