> I have a 5300c, and have run 7.6.1, 8.1, and 8.6 on it.  7.6.1 can feel
quite slow, and I think that it's due to Apple's >poor emulation of
non-power PC code.  I purchased Connectix SpeedDoubler and it completely
changed the way >7.6.1 felt; it was MUCH faster in opening windows and
copying and everything else they claim speeddoubler does.  >It's an older
version so I wasn't able to use it on OS 8.x, but I can tell you that
running Quicken 2000 (a power-pc >native app) felt faster with 8.6 than with
8.1, maybe because 8.6 is completely power-pc native.

A 5300c, if it has enough RAM, is definitely faster running OS 8.x than 7.x
unless you have Speed Doubler. In my experience, the best combination for a
5300 is to run OS 8.1 with Speed Doubler 8 installed. The problem is that
Apple's emulator needs an L2 cache to function properly, and of course,
that's something a 5300 doesn't have. SpeedDoubler, among other things, is a
rewrite of some parts of the emulator to make it function better, and is
invaluable on a 5300. It will help a 3400 running OS 7.6 or even 8.1, but
nowhere near to the extent it helps a 5300 (or a cacheless 1400c/117).

The ideal setup for a 3400 would probably be to run 8.6 on it, but I've
settled on an optimized 9.1 install because unlike Dan, my 3400c/240 is by
far the best laptop I own, and I need to make Hooper jump through hoops.

I can't figure out if Kanga supports 7.6 or not; different sources disagree
on that subject. Oh well, one of these days I guess I'll just buy one and
find out for myself.