It appears that on 7/6/03 Barbara Needham spake thus:

>Mikael Byström on 6/7/03 said
>
>>Charles Maurer suggested:
>>>
>>>Easier:  from a window in Terminal run:
>>>
>>>    sudo diskutil repairPermissions /
>>>

>>Thanks. Options are good, however, I see one problem: Don't you think
>>there is a point with starting up from another disk? Like open files etc?
>>
>>Because one could also use Pseudo and startup Disk Utility as root
>>without the terminal. Some people totally dislike the terminal and I
>>suspect a few PM users are among those. I'd never say to people I don't
>>know, to use the terminal. I'm still grateful for tips I didn't think of.
>>So thanks again.
>
>Before going to all the trouble of using Terminal you could try using
>disk Utility and repair permissions. I think this started being available
>in 10.2.2 or thereabouts, before that you had to download it.
>Applications/Disk Utility First Aid. It might not do everything that you
>can do from Terminal, but at least it is a place to start.
>
>--
>Barbara Needham

I've repaired permissions (using terminal) and that has not helped. I go
away today for a few days so further investigations will have to wait.
Thanks to everyone for information, help and suggestions so far.
--
Pat O'Halloran    http://www.danu.co.uk
The dust of exploded beliefs may make a fine sunset. - Madan