Steve Tarpin ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) on 2008-6-16 1:19 PM said:

>I've avoided Apple's Mail application, having been an avid PowerMail
>user for 10-years now (since May of 1999). In all honesty, the features
>of MobileMe and the mail-push, server-side constant updating of multiple
>computers from "The Cloud" are awfully tempting. "The Cloud" is the
>direction of the future (GoogleApps, MobileMe etc), and eventually I
>will give in and make the move, unless...
>
>I guess this question is for Jerome and development team or anyone "in
>the know", but is there the possibility that Apple will "share" the
>cloud so that applications OTHER than native apps will operate on
>MobileMe? Any buzz at all in that regard? What would it take for CTM to
>offer such a service, even though if (this) one were to be paying the
>$99 to Apple already, I would be hard-pressed to pay additional money
>for the same (albeit better) piece of their overall package.
>
>I think I'm reading the writing on the wall in reference to "The Cloud",
>if small software developers don't adapt, they will eventually be left
>behind. This is the only reason I would abandon PowerMail, but for me it
>is a compelling reason, and will become more evident as time rolls forward.

Well, Apple currently provides developers with a .Mac SDK, so they may
expand it to cover these new features.  Or not.  We'll see.  And if CTM
knows, they're under NDA.

But 3rd Party developers will always be behind Apple in this regard,
since of course teams within Apple get to use each other's code before
any of us.

And judging by the mediocre integration with Address Book (SDK
introduced in 10.2), I'm pessimistic.  :(

Sean