I followed both of Matthias' suggestions. I have even set up another
Gmail account. I can send email via Gmail from PowerMail, but when I
check mail nothing comes in. POP mail is on for both Gmail accounts,
Gmail POP worked using Apple Mail on another computer.

And as I noted earlier, PowerMail only acknowledges checking 2 accounts
when it checks for mail (although it in fact receives mail for 3 other
accounts besides the 2 Gmail accounts, so it should say checking mail
for 5 accounts).

I also could not get Gmail POP to work on a backup copy of PowerMail on
another computer.

However, when I set up a new user environment on the other computer,
with one Gmail account as the only account, it worked.

So, there is something in my current PowerMail user environment which is
not letting Gmail get checked.

Any thoughts on fixing this?

- Winston