From: Armstrong, Joel L [mailto:jlarmstr...@tva.gov]
Sent: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 5:47 AM
To: 'emgoldin' <emgol...@yahoo.com>; powernet <powernet@HPSpowernet.org>
Subject: (External):RE: [powernet] Experience with Liquinox (Alconox) decon
agent

Eric,

At TVA we do see contamination leaching from the transfer cask after initial
decontamination.  We do not use the referenced decontamination agents and have
similar coating on the transfer casks.  As the loaded transfer cask is removed
from the SFP we perform a continuous water spray and then decontaminate all
accessible areas to < 1K before placement in the work platform for
welding/processing.  We do not re-wet the transfer cask but will still see
contamination leaching particularly from the sides of the transfer cask.  At
our two PWR sites the SFP activity is low so the subsequent leaching is
typically in the 5k to 10k range.  At our BWR site the SFP activity is much
higher and the leaching can be 50k or greater.

Joel Armstrong
Spent Fuel Storage
WBN Phone – 423-365-8903
TVA Cell – 256-497-1405