Stefan Seyfried wrote:
> Hi,
>
> just to let everybody know :-)
> I checked in a small change into SVN trunk that will make powersaved use
> the userspace suspend (from http://suspend.sf.net) per default.
> To use it, you need to have s2disk and resume installed in /usr/sbin and
> configured correctly. This usually involves changing your initrd and
> configuring it via /etc/suspend.conf.
>
> If you do not want to use userspace suspend but the old and slow in-kernel
> swsusp, just set SUSPEND2DISK_METHOD="kernel" in /etc/powersave/sleep.
>
> Have fun and good luck :-)

It works fine here with uswsusp. I have some objections though because
the current approach breaks the setup for all users still running the in
kernel swsusp (either because the don't have a initrd, a kernel < 2.6.17
or simply not the uswsusp package installed). This is not good imho.
Why not do the following:

If SUSPEND2DISK_METHOD is not explictly set, first try uswsusp, then
fallback to swsusp. Only fail if both methods are not successful.
If SUSPEND2DISK_METHOD is set, only try this method.
This way people using swsusp don't have to change their configuration.

I would even prefer if suspend2 was added to this list and not run via a
separate hook (EVENT_GLOBAL_SUSPEND2DISK_OTHER) because it needs to have
the hibernate scripts package installed, which basically duplicate all
the functionality of the powersaved scripts (unloading modules,
unmounting partitions, stopping services etc) and needs to be configured
separately.
So basically simply call the equivalent of
"echo disk > /sys/power/state" for suspend2 in do_acpi_sleep.
But then again, I don't know if it's that easy for suspend2 or if you
need more configuration to get it running.

Ideally powersaved would then (if SUSPEND2DISK_METHOD is not set), first
try uswsusp, then fallback to suspend2 and finally to swsusp. We could
argue if it would be better to try suspend2 before uswsusp.

Cheers,
Michael