On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 5:04 PM, Raoul Duke <rao...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 1:58 PM, Lindsay Marshall
> <lindsay.marsh...@newcastle.ac.uk> wrote:
>> I think this is a complete red herring. But there again so is the whole idea
>> of intuitiveness.
>
> agreed :-)
>
> my point (which might have been exactly the same as yours) was just
> that if we are going to try to understand how an individual might best
> be able to use a computer, we need to understand that it isn't just
> the gross terms of e.g. imperative vs. functional.

I think that's a reasonable observation, but I think we might be able
to make generalizations about imperative vs. functional as one aspect
out of several that are of interest.

In particular, there are many advocates of functional programming out
there that tout advantages to functional vs. imperative
(e.g.,http://www.defmacro.org/ramblings/fp.html).

And yet, the languages that have enjoyed the most widespread usage
(e.g., FORTRAN, COBOL, Basic, C, C++, Java, Python, Perl, Ruby) are
all more on the imperative side of things, such that none of the
languages that are typically associated with functional (e.g., Common
Lisp, Scheme, Haskell, ML, OCaml, Erlang) have ever reached the level
that you could call them "mainstream", although there have been
non-academic environments where functional languages have been used
successfully (e.g., AutoLISP, Emacs Lisp, OCaml at Jane Street, Erlang
at Ericsson, Scala at Twitter).

It's possible that all differences in  say, learning, productivity, or
adoption of languages can be attributed to factors other than whether
they are functional vs. imperative. However, because it seems to me
that there is such a qualitative difference in how you write code
between the two approaches, I'd be very surprised if there was no
effect at all.

Regards,

Lorin