On Nov 25, 2009, at 7:43 AM, Raoul Duke wrote:
i believe that this train of thought should really be more widely
applied. the way i best learn algebra is perhaps not the same best way
the student next to be might learn it. yet our academics do little or
nothing to consider how best to engage with a student.

Speaking as an academic who has taken a paper on tertiary teaching (as
a student of it), they tell you that people have different learning
styles, but tell you NOTHING about how to FIND OUT what learning style
someone has, and nothing practically helpful about what to DO about it.
(Sorry for shouting, but this has distressed me for years.)  Is there
any university in the world that routinely tests entrants to find out
their best learning style and tells lecturers what mix of students
they have?