There is a lot of scattered research on visual languages... some more
directly studying visual languages than others. Some extant work is about
visual languages when the researcher doesn't even realize it (a colleagues
work on visual ACL router configuration comes to mind). What are, say, the
three biggest open questions/challenges in visual languages? Is there a
meta-paper that perhaps discusses VL from such a high level?

John Daughtry