Be sure to see this recent ACM TOCHI paper:
http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1592440.1592442&coll=DL&dl=GUIDE&CFID=11627642&CFTOKEN=32408758

Can direct manipulation lower the barriers to computer programming and promote
transfer of training?: An experimental study

By Hundhausen, Farley, and Brown

Novices face many barriers when learning to program a computer, including the
need to learn both a new syntax and a model of computation. By constraining
syntax and providing concrete visual representations on which to operate,
direct manipulation programming environments can potentially lower these
barriers. However, what if the ultimate learning goal of the novice is to be
able to program in conventional textual languages, as is the case for
introductory computer science students? Can direct manipulation programming
environments lower the initial barriers to programming, and, at the same time,
facilitate positive transfer to textual programming? To address this question,
we designed a new direct manipulation programming interface for novices, and
conducted an experimental study to compare the programming processes and
outcomes promoted by the direct manipulation interface against those promoted
by a textual programming interface. We found that the direct manipulation
interface promoted significantly better initial programming outcomes, positive
transfer to the textual interface, and significant differences in programming
processes. Our results show that direct manipulation interfaces can provide
novices with a "way in" to traditional textual programming.