Hi Linda,

I would suggest that your domain of analysis is much larger than the kits.
No-one is being explicit about what is going on here. The kits are perhaps
25% of the ingredients. To assert that the kits are "too hard" etc, is
really not to have any more insight into the real situation than the
pupils, the authors of the curriculum, or the young teachers. Why should
"hardness" be a function of the kits?

Generally what seems to happen is that an experienced teacher will come up
with a personal solution to one of these issues of curriculum-media-pupil
problems and then share it with hundreds of other teachers.

On this basis the bright kids get to be playful for a brief period of the
school day whilst the rest are merely introduced to some more stuff that
you do stuff with. Because the curriculum does not address the real
requirements (or the thing that really matters) we have this muddle of a
status quo.

Best,
Huw
--