Hi Linda,

Why impute the task (and usability) to the kits?

If the kids want to make a big heaps of the stuff, like models of the
pyramids, then where is the usability problem? If they want to make a
mosaic, where is the usability problem? For creative engagement, it is
necessary for the kids to have insight into what they intend to construct
and to construe it. Usability is a function if what is intended (and the
alignment of the unitary design of the kits with that domain of intent).
This is where experiencing problems (and learning to read situations)
becomes key towards facilitating orientation.

None of this is about providing pre-baked tasks, with issues of usability.
To follow the "pre-baked" line is to miss the most important factor which
is orientation to problems and the teachers role in facilitating that.
Without a concern for orientation, what you are dealing with are "teachers"
(who do not need to know anything about creative engagement, orientation
etc) and "classrooms" (a place to keep children out of trouble and to
"teach" them to follow instructions etc.). So, if you are following the
(default) administrative line of teaching, why go to the trouble with kits?
And why go to the trouble of indexing "usability" of kits for
administratively-run classes when orientation never gets beyond paint by
numbers? Once it is clear to the teacher what units the (good) kits have,
"usability" is not likely to be an issue.

This is why I say we have a muddle of a status quo. Without some scope for
creative engagement, without some token gesture towards constructivist
approaches, there would be revolt. But this does not square with a
curriculum geared towards grades etc., hence creative approaches remain a
minority sport.

Best,
Huw
--