this may not be giving you much new info, but i expect that you'll want to
isolate the portal creation steps that involve creating the
portal_memberdata and portal_registration tools, and create an external
method that does those things.  i would start by looking for generic setup
tool steps for those tools - that might be all you need.

on related lines, i am getting to the point of working on releasing my
Products.remember changes to get it working with Products.membrane  v2.  i
also want to look at what it takes to get the Products.remember uninstall
provisions working, and will look at the link you mention to instructions
for removing persistent utilities.  please let me know if you have a script
you are using, or anything like that, and what you discover about recreating
the memberdata and registration tools.  i may have time to look at that
myself, but it probably won't be for a while.

ken manheimer
ken.manhei...@gmail.com