VFP 9 SP 1.

I know this has been discussed somewhere but can't really find anything germane. If anyone can refer me to sources that would be great.

My system has a routine called by ON SHUTDOWN that does many things, like closing windows (which can force data saves in some cases), logging the user out, and backing up data. This can take considerable time--several minutes if the backup runs when the user is the last user to log out.

A problem sometimes arises if the user shuts down my software and then, pretty soon thereafter, shuts down the computer.

As I understand it, there is supposed to be some level of "respect" from Windows for running applications such that they are allowed to finish before Windows shuts down. But once in a while, in the course of my ON SHUTDOWN routine, a procedure that tries to open a table on the network will encounter VFP Error 1 ("File does not exist.")

My error log indicates that VFP is searching for this table, which exists on the server on a mapped drive, in CURDIR(), where it should not be. I am guessing this is because Windows has killed the mapped drive and VFP's internal path search has fallen back on CURDIR().

My error handler causes a crash at this point because it begins a process that eventually calls the ON SHUTDOWN routine..again, which means I now have an error occurring in the context of my error handler, with predictable ugly results.

I have long suspected that something like this was happening on occasion but today for the first time I actually got a user to admit she shut down Windows while my software was trying to shut itself down, and I got error log data that describes what happened.

So.. I could undertake a very lengthy and painful analysis of my shutdown path and error handler and try to find a better way to detect this particular condition and handle it gracefully. But before I do that, I'd like to get as much information as possible about:

1. What Windows is *supposed* to do when it is shut down while a program is still running,

2. What Windows *actually does* in that scenario,

3. What VFP is *supposed* to do if it is still running when Windows starts yanking its resources away during an OS shutdown,

and

4. What VFP *actually does* in that scenario.

Thanks for any help.

Ken Dibble
www.stic-cil.org