This thread has been bothering me, because it seems to me that depending on the user waiting for the backup AFTER he quits the program is just an accident looking to happen.

I think John has the right idea here. Do NOT close windows etc and start the backup. Instead, start the backup and post a Humongous great warning window threatening death and dismembership to anyone who goes home before it finishes.

Actually, I might look for a different way around it - I hate doing backups as part of either startup or shutdown. But if you have to, it's safer to make the user part of the process.

Yeah, as the time it takes to do the backup grows, the better the option to discard the on-shutdown backup looks.

But as I said elsewhere, this problem is not isolated within the backup process. It can occur in any of several processes that try to access tables on the network share, all of which are called from my ON SHUTDOWN routine. These include processes to save data and to write to my audit table as the user logs out.

The idea of offering the user the option to have my app shut down Windows on its way out is appealing. But it's not 100%. So the question remains:

As I understand it, Windows is *supposed* to respect an application's exit process during shutdown, and VFP's ON SHUTDOWN procedure is *supposed* to be able to execute undisturbed in that scenario. Is there anything I can do to ensure that it does so?

Ken Dibble
www.stic-cil.org