I was referring to "my" SMTP server as in the one that my email client sends out through. Costs me $2 month through Rackspace and folks, it just don't get better than Rackspace.

Hmmmmm...

I wonder if Rackspace would:

- Set up and rent me an email server running whatever Linux email software my current ISP uses (not sure if it's Mailman or what) with full access provided to me through CPanel and all the bells and whistles thereof

- Implement all of my rules my way for me:
No arbitrary "password complexity" rules
No bogus requirement for empty mailbox space for authentication testing
Multiple simultaneous logins to the same email account allowed
No requirement for SSL
Ordinary POP3/SMTP connections using standard email ports
Sane self-defense spam/malware blocking on the server (I don't know how my ISP survives without it but somehow they do without regularly maxing their own HDD space before the server allocates messages to user mailboxes)

- Include a choice of webmail clients for users to pick from

- Keep the thing patched and secure

- Resolve problems for me when some other ISP such as RoadRunner or HotMail or AOL decides to block messages coming from my IP address for some bogus reason or other

- Provide very high uptime

- Provide meaningful responses to requests for help within 30 to 60 minutes, including when the latest and greatest patch breaks something

- No data mining

- For a reasonable price

I'd love that kind of service and would be happy to pay quite a bit more for it than I'm paying for email now... but what I'm paying now is about $600 a year and includes website hosting as well.

Hmmm.. Ed?

Ken Dibble
www.stic-cil.org