I instrumented it somewhat. For most errors, when the system crashes, data is written to a log file. I have my boss trained to send me a copy of the log file when the system crashes with an error. This often gives me more data than his write-up.

Must be nice to work in a place where people don't ignore instructions from an IT person.

In-house, I have the application's installation folders on every computer shared out to the network so I can go in from my office and pull a log file when I need to. The problem is, of course, knowing when I need to.

But I mostly blame the software industry, which has conditioned people to accept poor performance without complaining. When Word crashes and hoses your document, do you file a complaint with Microsoft? If Windows offers to file it for you, do you let it? And when you do, do you expect anything to come of it?

On the other hand, if your TV keeps blanking out do you complain to the cable company and keep complaining until you get a tech over to deal with it?

(Many other examples.) See my point?

Ken Dibble
www.stic-cil.org