> Can anyone tell me how a passworded zip file can be a threat?

>Um. I'm not sure. Let me google that for you...

http://bit.ly/1exqlOT

Well yeah, I actually did that exact Google before I sent this message. It's people's reasoning that I don't understand.

> And how would a user get a password for a malware zip file mailed to him
> by a bot?

It's usually sent along in the email: "Here's the file we were talking
about. The password is 'Mackerel.'" So, the user opens the file and clicks
on the MalwareOfYourDoom.EXE because, well, it was an email (faked, most
likely) from someone they know. The password-protected ZIP makes it through
the perimeter defence undetected.

What are the odds that the recipient actually had a recent conversation about a file with a person chosen at random by a bot to put in the "From" field of that email? And then the person told the recipient that s/he was going to send the file in a zip archive. I mean really?

This is what I mean about risk-benefit analysis. Organizational "security experts" have taken to blocking all zip file attachments, and even have resorted to forcing people to use a file drop to pick up attachments instead of allowing them to come in with an email.

If you just tell people not to open any attachment that they don't know exactly what it is, you've achieved the same level of security without inconveniencing anybody or spending any extra money.

<SMH>

Ken Dibble
www.stic-cil.org