On Sun, Mar 22, 2015 at 3:46 PM, Alan Bourke <alanpbou...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> Hold on hold on hold on. Chinese whispers.

That sounds strange to me. Is that a British-ism? I don't recognize
the reference.

> This is just ASP.NET and MVC. There were about 5 people developing MVC
> apps in VB.Net. Outside of that VB has gone nowhere, C++ has gone
> nowhere, there is still a whole .NET ecosystem supporting desktop with
> WPF and even Windows Forms.

So, "ASP" is the Active Server Pages, so we're talking about runtime
scripting with IIS on a web server, right? And VB.NET is not the
Visual Basic of your, dead too soon at VB6, but a BASIC-like syntax
that was never as popular at the more OOP and terse C-Sharp-Dot-Net,
right?

It's so hard to keep track, from the outside, of which framework is in
or out or which means of presenting forms to the user in a web browser
are still popular. There have been so many, and they seem to expire so
quickly.

So, this "news" is that the next version of Microsoft's web Dot-Net is
C-Sharp, only, right?

So, for the rest of Visual Studio -- the rich desktop apps, or the
applets that run on MSPhone -- this is out of scope for this
announcement, right?

I got such a kick out of the original article, where the author notes
that all the attendees at a web designer conference use macs, and all
the attendees at a startup conferce use macs, and that somehow
announcing that C-Sharp will now run on macs and linux means that
attendees will start showing up with windows machines? Hardly.