On 2016-12-01 19:01, Charlie wrote:
FYI, I did more research on this and just never sent in an update.

The key point is whether or not the table was opened "EXCLUSIVE" or
not. If you open it exclusive, there is a "chance" the memo "block"
will be reused (if the new text size is the same or smaller than what
was used before).

But opening the table in shared mode means EVERY save to the memo will
cause a NEW memo block to be appended to the .FPT file.

I was going to write up some code folks could run to show this
behavior, but didn't get to it. So the proof is left as a homework
assignment. :)

Well that would be intelligent design when in exclusive mode if true.