Hi Gene,

About this:

>"One of the things that Grid is supposedly not for is data
entry"

I don't agree. Not sure about the complexity of what you need to do, but if
you used FoxPro before VFP, you could remember that before the grid
component was the BROWSE command with many parameters that allowed many
validations and options for row/column, and that many validations and
options where made exactly for that purpose, for data entry. Most of them
have no sense for other purpose than data entry.

One of my first programming challenges was to do a component exactly as you
need it to (I'm talking about dBase III+ era), and could do it, but the
problem was that performed horribly, too slow to navigate records and
columns.
I think that you could face the same problem. Do not forget that you have
to control each and every aspect of the component, as:

- Scrolling left/right controlling start and end columns
- Scrolling top/bottom controlling start and end rows
- Controlling the data you load/unload, because you can't load a millon
records in memory, and this forces you to control dinamically the loading
of a new bunch of records in the direction you are navigating, and
unloading records from the other side
- Controlling every key for navigation and other needed purposes
- Controlling the visualization of each aspect of your info (think on
Autosizing columns, pre-programmed sizes, combination of both, assuring
that you show columns correctly and fluently ,etc)
- More things you may ancounter

Obviously I'm thinking in a component that can be used for any table, and
not just for one special table, because the programming effort to do this
type of component is too high to do it for just one table.

Don't know if you already said this because I didn't follow the entire
thread, but:
What type of validation do you need, and what is the problem you are facing
that can't be handled with the grid?

And more importantly: Is really a grid what you need? why can't you use an
input form with navigation keys that scrolls data in background?

Best Regards!