There are performance implications to using SPs, at least in MSSQL.

--

rk

-----Original Message-----
From: ProfoxTech <profoxtech-boun...@leafe.com> On Behalf Of MB Software
Solutions, LLC
Sent: Thursday, July 23, 2020 10:27 PM
To: profoxt...@leafe.com
Subject: Re: Unit tests (was Re: [NF] I will .....)

On 7/23/2020 8:07 PM, Stephen Russell wrote:
> Pretty much for anything that is repetitive in nature.  All apps yes.
> I have the instances set to not allow homemade sql except for some of
> our new stuff in R, or my certificate report that passes SQL to
> include all of the Lot Numbers needed.  It is on a separate sql server
> and operates very slowly if I use a where in with code that executed at the
> calling server.
>
> Why would you NOT use sprocs is my #1 question?

Years ago there was the debate as to whether you put all the logic into your
backend database or DataObject class...I went for the latter.  Gave me easier
portability if I ever needed it.  (And actually, I did...I went from VFP
backends to MySQL/MariaDB 15 years ago.  Required VERY LITTLE code changes!)
Now that doesn't mean I don't use stored procedure...I do!  I just don't use
them for basic INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE statements.  I do use triggers though too.

https://leafe.com/archives/byMID/a1f6a03d-88f2-0cd8-6c9e-0280eb5ff...@mbsoftwaresolutions.com
Report [OT] Abuse:
http://leafe.com/reportAbuse/a1f6a03d-88f2-0cd8-6c9e-0280eb5ff...@mbsoftwaresolutions.com