On Feb 24, 2007, at 6:00 AM, Pete Theisen wrote:

> It is hard
> to do anything in Linux because it is all a little different than
> Windows,
> MAC or even DOS.

Well, I think that statement needs a bit of amplification. I'm an
utter newb, having just set up my linux box a couple of weekends ago,
and play time has been limited to whatever I can steal from the
family on nights & weekends.

I, like none of us probably, am not a great example: we tend to
figure out stuff pretty quickly. But for me, certain stuff has been
drop-dead easy on Ubuntu: installing it, updating it and installed
applications, installing new applications -- all as easy or easier
than Windows/Mac ever were. Application software has been easy, too,
though I have been using OO for a while on Windows.

OTOH, those config files John commented on... For example, I set up
the box with a spare monitor attached. I decided to move the linux
over to my primary work space. It detected the monitor over there and
built the configuration for it. BUT, I could not get it to choose
resolution higher than 800x600, even though the configuration says it
did. Moving the box over here, it didn't detect the different
monitor. No biggie, thought I, install the driver. Simple. But, as of
yet, no. Whil, Ted and our other brethren on the ProLinux side of the
house have sent me a few suggestions, but I haven't been able to do
(or in some cases understand) them yet.

So in my extremely-limited experience: some stuff really easy, at
least with the Ubantu interface. Other stuff "not so much."

Ken