On 3/23/07, Whil Hentzen (Pro*) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> There are two schools of thought here. The first is to be an expert in a
> language, and when the call comes for help in that language, you hold up
> your hand and yell, "Pick me! Pick me!"

I think it's not just "A" language, but a whole bunch of tools that
work together: the database, the server OS, the glue that puts the
whole thing together, the installer, the bug tracker, the version
control system, etc. And knowing the range and scope of the tools: how
big an application, how many workstations or connections, how much
data, etc. And perhaps knowing a few other tools "up or down-scale"
that might fit if your tool of choice is not the best fit (Anyone
remember Alpha 5?)

And the other subsidiary tools: ERD diagrammers, UML builders, Wikis, etc...

> Having been burned multiple times, proprietary scares me.

This week reminded me of the dog-and-pony I saw Ashton-Tate put on in
Boston, circa 1988. dBase IV had just come out and they were doing a
tour showing it off. I was at a government-only briefing, iirc, and
the demo people (I think they were "names") couldn't keep the product
running. "I've gotta bail out of this," I recall thinking. That's when
I went with Fox. Could have done worse.

And now it's time to pick again. So much cool stuff to pick from.
Web-based or rich-client? AJAX or conventional? SOA? Client-server?
(well, obviously). 2-tier or n-tier? Open Source or proprietary? ASP
model or shink-wrapped, custom code or retail? There's a lot of
choices, and each person has to find the business that works for them.

As for the "career-crippling" comment, let's get real. It's the choice
of a tool. Make the wrong choice, you drop it and pick up another.
DeWalt, Milwaikee, Makita -- you "have a bad experience," you pick
another one next time. If you don't strike out once in a while, you're
not trying hard enough.

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC