On 6/6/07, Alan Bourke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> He's certainly right about the development environment. There is nothing
> in the Linux world that I've seen that comes close to the integration
> and power of Visual Studio and SQL Server.

That hasn't been my experience. While there are a lot of developers in
the LAMP world who argue that such an IDE is overweight and gets in
the way (ask Ed and Paul, for example, who mostly work with text
editors and separate runtime, testing, debugging tools), there are a
couple of IDEs I've worked with that have the features you expect:
color-coding, syntax error flagging, project manager, integration with
source code control, debuggers, language completion and reference
("IntelliSense(tm)"), integrated browsers, etc. Take a look at Eclipse
for example (here's a screenshot:
http://www.tedroche.com/Present/2005/FossFutureWeb/img8.html) or phpEd
(http://www.nusphere.com/products/phped_features.htm). Leland likes
Komodo  (http://www.activestate.com/products/komodo_ide/) and there
are lots of fans. SUN offers NetBeans
(http://www.netbeans.org/products/ide/).

For talking with databases, xCase rocks, and then there's phpMyAdmin,
phpPostAdmin, pgAdmin, Data Architect, and lots and lots and lots of
other tools.

> And even the free express
> editions are very viable platforms to build a business on.

And the free editions of Perl, Python, PHP, Ruby, MySQL and PostgreSQL
are pretty popular, too. And they're not limited to an "expressly
crippled" version.

> THen again, it depends on whether the above is the most important thing
> to you is the development environment.

Well, the most important thing in a development environment to me is
not being dependent on a sole-source vendor who can ruin the value of
the investment I've made in my business by changing the rules.

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC