Alan Bourke wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 10:34:58 -0700 (PDT), "Michael Madigan"
>
>> What is the rule of thumb
>
> How much the customer is willing to pay for.

I asked a client recently on his budget, citing that in previous
proposals, he'd always tell me he wanted the cadillac but only had a
hyundai budget!  So I told him I'd like to know ahead of time so I don't
waste time proposing things outside of his budget.  Folks sometimes seem
to think that if they say how much their max is, the estimate will be
that regardless if it takes less to do the work.  Any one else
experience that kind of client?  This guy is pretty good, as he knows
I'm fair and don't cheat him, but nonetheless, I've seen some pretty
nervous prospects in the past when this approach is taken.