>> It is a bummer that VFP saves source in binary instead of plain text,
>> because you lose out on
diffing and merging (two powerful features of source control). But I don't
recommend using my scX
because the format it saves, although it is plain text and single-file rather
than dual-file, isn't
much better (too much noise in the diff).<<

Conceptually you could be right in the fact that SVN does not have native tools
built in to diff
binary files or do merges, but I watched Toni Feltman a few weeks ago doing
diffs and merges with
VFP files of all types (including the binaries) and storing text
representations in a SVN
repository. She has built a set of tools using Christof's TwoFox (mentioned on
Profox recently and
downloaded from Foxpert.com) that give you 100% control over both of these
powerful features. Sure
you have to do a step before committing the files (running TwoFox through her
tools), but it all
works. Even the most complex merges can be done when people work on the same
class methods or
properties in a VCX. With a little discipline (same kind needed when working
with any source code
control provider with any source code from any dev tools) you can work
seamlessly with VFP and SVN
or even VSS if you choose.

Hopefully you will have a chance to watch her present this process with her
tools. It is my
understanding she will be doing a couple more demos of this including a
potential Webcast.

BTW, while I dislike the SCC integration with VFP projects it works fine in
most cases (again,
discipline) and I have done it successfully even if you don't believe it. Yes,
I prefer the native
tools to work with the SCC store, mostly because they are faster and more
robust, and on occasion
VFP won't release its grips on one of the two source files (usually VCX/VCT)
and you get half a
check-in. Large project files slow down when opened too with integration. What
I do like is the
automatic creation of the "A" text files, which is one less step for me to
forget. I think
developers working with any source code control should try it so they can see
the positives and
negatives. I use both ways because I have some clients who prefer the
integration, and others I have
convinced in some cases to use the native clients.

Rick
White Light Computing, Inc.

www.whitelightcomputing.com
www.swfox.net