Heya,

I've been out of work for a while, so I'm looking into other areas to see
what might be interesting.  As of late, I've been contemplating the two
subjects listed in the subject of this message.

So I was wondering: what do people think are the best resources for someone
looking to get into either of these fields?  Or even already in those
fields -- what books/software/etc do you find yourself unwilling to go
without?

Thanks in advance,

Joel