Thanks R.E. Boss,

You raise a really good point and one that I actually have given a fair amount
of thought. I guess it is obvious by the things that I have and will work on
that I came to a different conclusion than you did, but that does not mean that
I think that your concerns are unwarranted.

I do think that the steep/shallow/long/high learning curve of J has at times
selected out those who did not have the persistence to rearrange their mental
constructs to use this new tool of thought. My concern is that while I know
what the people who did persevere have contributed to this community, I can't
know the contributions we have lost because people did not have the time or
energy to make the journey.

Sam Clemens was a riverboat pilot who understood that it was easier to
transport goods by boat than it was by horse. Mark Twain was the name that he
took as an American satirist and since he did not write in Greek , I would
assume that, in addition to making a living, he probably wanted 'stupid people'
 to become wiser by having read his writing. In this way the quote you used
could have a double meaning of spurring the less wise to become wiser. I think
wisdom is the essential ingredient that we do not wish to lose by making the
language more accessible.

As I write this I watch the Olympic games, where athletes use new materials,
training methods and nutrition to achieve results that could not have been
reached even a few years ago. I also think that the ethics of some of the
athletes may have suffered because it is 'easier' to become skilled, but
recently I watched Shawn White finish out of the medals and walk over to the
gold medalist and give him a great big hug of congratulations. We need to work
to keep that goodness in our game, even as we make it more accessible.

Cheers, bob