From: Brian Schott <schott.br...@gmail.com>
To: Programming forum <programm...@jsoftware.com>
Sent: Saturday, February 22, 2014 12:04:03 PM
Subject: Re: [Jprogramming] J in 5 minutes

Pascal,

I can't remember the sequence of emails, but I do remember asking in a
relevant thread if anyone had found a way to make a grid into active cells
accepting excel-like formulae, with the idea that many people would find
the transition to J easier if that were possible. And if memory serves
correctly, you may have responded to that idea with the example and code
about computing loan balances -- whether or not there is any truth to that
is not very important, perhaps. But anyhow, the lack of a positive response
to my request for an excel-like grid and your example, revised my thinking
considerably regarding a j-in-5 video/essay away from an excel-in-J
demonstration. So, thank you for your multiple contributions to my effort
for an essay/video; your ideas have been great.

I just think the audience your newest example would appeal to is not one
that I chose to pursue. My video exceeds 5 minutes already, and I am
basically explaining only upd/\.p, 10000 . Your expansion to me would
require a lengthy Lab sort of delivery system, not a 5-minute video, unless
the audience already understands financial calculations.

Maybe, I am completely wrong. I am thinking about Joe's screencast on
database retrievals. He can type really fast and can talk easily (which I
cannot do) and is able to fly through many examples in no time. Maybe I
should be thinking like that and how impressive a screencast of your
examples would be. But I cannot do that because my speaking ability is very
limited and does not permit simultaneously typing, so even such a
presentation would be impossible for me to develop. Maybe even folks who
don't understand financial calculations would be impressed with your
examples to choose J.

Thanks,

On Sat, Feb 22, 2014 at 8:10 AM, Pascal Jasmin <godspiral2...@yahoo.ca>wrote:

> I can definitely be wrong about this, but I thought my example was both a
> simple concept, but still daunting to code.  Its about the beauty/power of
> J for people who already understand daily interest loans, which I admit I
> may overestimate how widespread that knowledge is, or how a single sentence
> overview of daily interest can suddenly make everyone perfectly aware of
> the concept.
>
> It is still an example that uses only + - * [], ^ inv $ as verbs, which
> are among the easiest to explain.  Maybe a good intro, would be to show how
> a spreadsheet would solve the problem for 10 periods with all of the
> columns it would use.  Its easy but tedious to use a spreadsheet to solve
> the problem (with small number of very regular payments).  By showing the
> spreadsheet model, then even non programmers, or those not completely
> familiar with interest calculations, would be able to follow  the J
> approach that improves upon it.  New lines could even be explained with an
> overview of the changes to the spreadsheet that would need to be made to
> match the J code.
>

> --
(B=)