>>> J805 will NOT support J32 for linux and mac.

    This is about a bug in J804 for linux32 which crashes J.

===================================
[gilles@NetV03 j804]$ bin/jconsole
      Adv=: 1 : 0
(
)
      13!:0 ]1   NB. Reset and activate debugger
      + Adv 2
|syntax error: Adv
|   (
|Adv[2]
         13!:0 ] 0  NB. Reset and deactivate debugger
Erreur de segmentation
[gilles@NetV03 j804]$
===================================

This very old bug (since the birth of 13!: ?) has been reported many times under various disguises with MS-Win, notably by Devon and Oleg.

It has been corrected with the release of j803 for Windows, but not for Linux (same source?). Many thanks to whoever made the correction!

IMO, the debugger is an essential tool with scripts using explicit adverbs and conjunctions, for tracing repeated calls of arg verb(s) (for instance, to trace Devon's climb adverb at http://code.jsoftware.com/wiki/NYCJUG/2009-08-11 ).

The Linux 32b platform is likely to remain a platform used in schools for quite some time.

     Could we not have a final Linux32 J version without this bug?

     ~ Gilles

Le 29/09/2016 à 19:41, Eric Iverson a écrit :
By J32 on linux I meant specifically linux on x64-intel hardware. This does
not affect rpi or other platforms that require (or have a real benefit
from) a 32bit version. We are not killing J32, just J32 on linux-x64intel
and mac-x64intel.

On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 7:38 PM, Joey K Tuttle <j...@qued.com> wrote:

OK on the Mac side - maybe an issue with Linux on older machines (or maybe
some newish things like Raspberry Pi v2), but time marches on ... (and I
have to blushingly admit that j504 is used a lot in my older machines so
can't complain seriously there...)

- joey

On 2016 Sep 29, at 16:32 , Eric Iverson <eric.b.iver...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Building and testing J32 new releases for linux and mac is a serious
nuisance.

We doubt there is any requirement not adequately covered by 804 and
earlier
J32 releases.

We will continue to support J32 for windows as that is an easier platform
and that should be enough to keep our 32bit version honest for other
32bit
only platforms.

J805 will NOT support J32 for linux and mac.

Comments?