Inline comments follow...

>  I would say neither gerundYN or isgerund is correct, they should report
value error. Even J interpreter itself does not know if undefined name is a
verb or not, J can only assume it is a verb but it can be wrong since
unbound name is free to be assigned to any value. Your question should be
-- should an undefined name assumed to be a gerund. But I think this is
implementation dependent. BTW undefined name can also be regarded as noun
or domain error in implementation and still be compatible with J
dictionary, although it will be then become quite inconvenient to use.

I am not sure about that; the Dictionary does not cover some implementation
details but apparently it covers this one: "The executions in the stack are
confined to the first four elements only, and eligibility for execution is
determined only by the class of each element (noun, verb, etc., an
unassigned name being treated as a verb), as prescribed in the following
parse table." [0]

(I forgot to mention the odd word copula which in this context is , of
course, key for writing verbs in top-down fashion.)

>  Please don't get me wrong, I didn't mean Jx is incorrect. On the
contrary,  Jx is enlightening. only that it is not the old J that I am
familiar with.

I did not get you wrong Bill; however, I really appreciate your entire
comment, thanks for making it.

[0] E. Parsing and Execution
    http://www.jsoftware.com/help/dictionary/dicte.htm